Demand Planning Job Descriptions
A Suggested Job Description for Demand Planner
Roles & Responsibilities / Job Description – Demand Planner
Supply Chain - Sales Operations - Sales Logistics - Marketing
Demand Planning Manager
This Demand Planning position is responsible for all forecasting activities associated with customers and products. The Demand Planner creates and maintains forecast models for their customers, incorporating business intelligence and forecast information gathered from sales, marketing, finance, retailer replenishment analysts, and other sources (i.e.: Nielsen or other syndicated consumer data). This position is the talent pool for the Senior Demand Planner, and Demand Planning Manager positions within the Organization.
The Demand Planner is the integration point into the sales and commercial organization. Basic forecast modeling is the responsibility of this position. This position leads the dialogue each month for their respective customers and products with key counterparts in Sales and Marketing.
- Develop demand forecasts (operational forecasts) at multiple levels of aggregation for multiple time horizons as part of a demand planning function.
- Review historical sales trends, research demand drivers, prepare forecast data, develop statistical forecast models, and evaluate forecast results.
- Coordinate cross-functional research activities to reconcile significant variances and refine the forecast model to reflect updated sales and marketing assumptions.
- Interact with sales, marketing, and customer finance to understand demand forecast drivers.
- Utilize a collaborative and consensus approach by working with Sales, Marketing and Customer Finance to obtain and ensure that current and accurate information is used for demand forecasts.
- Use and maintain the Demand Planning software as the primary forecasting system tool.
- Provide input to the Supply Planning organization in developing inventory strategies on existing items, new products, and product phase-outs.
- Closely coordinate and communicate customer action plans with supply planning
- Create statistical forecasts:
- Gather, analyze and validate data
- Execute statistical modeling software
- Review resulting statistical forecast model
- Apply error analysis techniques to improve forecasting
- Summarize/aggregate statistical forecasts
- Review sales plans , customer finance Budget Updates or Latest Estimates and demand drivers:
- Present, solicit, and assess feedback on the various forecasts from sales, and finance
- Recommend adjustments for operational forecasts
- Review promotional plans with sales
- Achieve consensus for operational demand forecasts by facilitating a collaborative planning process with sales, marketing and finance personnel:
- Prepare relevant material to facilitate research and discussion
- Provide input to volume planning ( Latest Estimates / annual process)
- Facilitate and manage demand planning/customer meetings
- Achieve consensus with the business side and the demand chain
- Maintain demand planning system and software
- Enter and modify data and ensure the correctness of product hierarchy
- Monitor trends in forecast error
- Identify relevant market-related data and competitive intelligence
- Prepare and maintain relevant reports pertaining to demand planning process
- A customer demand forecast which incorporates current and accurate market information that allows the company to correctly predict customer demand and provide its supply chain with the appropriate information to plan how to meet that customer demand.
- Improved relationships among planners, sales, marketing and finance, which will lead to effective knowledge sharing and an optimal consensus forecast to better guide the company.
- Refined systems and methods to continually improve forecasts so that the company can better anticipate customer needs.
- Execute with excellence in the area of customer replenishment and feedback to the Supply Chain group the opportunities and risks regarding customer replenishment performance metrics.
Required Education / Experience / Specific Job-related Skills
Years of Experience:
Two to Three years of experience in the industry.
BA/BS college degree or its equivalent. MBA preferred.
APICS or other forecasting Certification preferred
Demonstrated proficiency in statistics, forecasting and forecasting methods with an understanding of their financial and operational impacts. Knowledge of SAP/APO, Manugistics, or Oracle Demand Planning or other software related to demand planning is preferred.
Experienced with other software packages including Windows, and Microsoft Office. This position requires strong analytical, organizational, decision making, and presentation skills. Strong interpersonal skills are also essential to effectively interact with all teams, areas and levels of business affecting the forecast process. Good facilitation skills are required.